Popular Posts

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Four score and seven years ago...

...our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal. Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so concieved and so dedicated, can long endure.We are met on a great battle-field wait, wait... wait...what? I'm supposed to be writing a blog post and not randomly quoting the Gettysburg address? Weird...

Well Sunny, here it is, the long-awaited blog post. You are probably the most self-absorbed person I know. I don't mean that all you care about is yourself but, seemingly, all of your concentration is directed towards yourself and gratifying your random and unique desires. You are the only person I know who, when faced with an extreme time-crunch, will take a break to enjoy the finer points of bygone times. A person who will openly confirm racial stereotypes to a grammar class in a simple attempt to explain the method behind your eating. You're crazy and random but every once in a while nice and helpful; I guess that's what keeps me laughing instead of cursing at your "moments of indulgence."

I first met Sunny in ninth grade. I guess he went to my middle school as well, but at that time, my world view didn't expand beyond my locker neighbors. Anyway in ninth grade Sunny and I were together in the first ever Honors Physical Science class. I must say, looking back on it, there wasn't much that was honors about it. We all slacked off, got out of any work we didn't want to do, and aced the class with minimal effort but I did experience an entirely new world of people. There was the ever random and pest, Paul Kinkade, the ever predicable bathroom break by Naveen Jain, the snide comment of Joe Neary, and of course the wandering musings of Sunny Liu. Sunny didn't want to just accept information. He wanted to find it and pick it up so he could examine it from every angle and look for the flaws. Nothing was acceptable for him until he deemed it so and then his new information would then be composed into new, interesting, and utterly impossible concepts. Thus was my view of Sunny my ninth grade year: an over-curious knowledge seeker who would one day discover something unheard of or blow the world up trying.

Since this first meeting, I have had more classes with Sunny and got to know him much better. I have learned that he has a passion for math and little tolerance for those who don't (me) who ask questions, tiring him with our inane inadequacies. Sunny is in no way a perfectionist though. At least outwardly, he has seems to have lost much of his zeal for knowledge. Perhaps it is his dismissal of classes he deems himself better than or the general senior slide setting in early but Sunny appears indolent. He's stil' his wacky crazy self just less intense.

Sunny and I have done a lot together. We both compete in Science Olympiad and Mock Trial (which everyone reading this should join) as well as had classes together and hung out sometimes and all in all, Sunny is a good friend. I've gotten mad at him both justifiably and not as...and he's been a jerk his share of times, but in the end we usually have fun together even when he does attempt to make puns that are not funny and proceed to laugh at Mr. Schumacher's every word...once again NOT FUNNY!

(Sorry it was late Sunny!)

2 comments: