Blah...that is all I can say about it sometimes. I got my first "real" job in October this year at Homegoods. It's a discount store for everything you could ever need in your home plus a ton of junk that no one could ever need. The people that shop there are interesting to say the least. Just about the entire gay population and most of the Indian population shops there but perhaps most interestingly...the Russians. Every fresh off the boat Russian shops at Homegoods. They demand we do things that are directly against our policies and then don't understand enough English to understand that we are denying them their crazy requests. If you can survive working at Homegoods you're qualified to work anywhere; but all of that is really not the point of this post.
The point is to express my frustration with the necessity of work. If I could, I would quit tomorrow and spend the time I used to be working just enjoying my life but I do not have that option. Living on my own knowing college is right around the corner makes sure of that. So I work. I work minimum wage, saving every cent, and still worrying about how I'll ever afford everything. And sure, everyone says "you can just get a loan" or "enjoy your life now, worry about that later," but honestly neither of these comments have ever been overly helpful to me. I must prepare for the future and I must do all I can to be successful on my own. These are my realities; this is what I have to work for.
So...I guess that was me complaining...but you should also know the amazing benefits I've found from having this job. First, I have gained patience and people skills. The people at Homegoods sometimes make me want to punch them but my manager once mentioned to me that that is not good customer service. Who would've thought right? But really, since working I have learned to "kill the customers with kindness" although I must say that I have yet to accept "the customer is always right." Second, I have made friendships I never would have otherwise. Lots of the people who work at Homegoods aren't in my "friend-group" or don't go to my school but most of them are awesome friends that I'm truly glad I've met. Finally, as cliche and horrible as it may sound it's something to put on a college application. Especially this year I've been freaking out about my college application. All of my friends are amazing at school, gifted in extracurricular activites and on top of all that are participating in real-world research projects. I have nothing of the sort to boast of. I'm an average student (nothing noteworthy in either direction), involved in all the extracurriculars that everyone else is in, and I haven't ever left my safe little high school bubble. The only thing I can claim that many of my friends cannot is having a job even if it is little solace compared to their truly amazing vitaes.
Thanks to anyone who listened to me complain! I promise some happier posts to come! ;)
I AM THE FIRST FOLLOWER AND YOU WILL NEVER CHANGE THAT
ReplyDeleteJZ TOOK YOUR FOLLOWER VIRGINITY. I MUST SETTLE FOR SLOPPY SECONDS. OH WELL.
ReplyDelete